Travel Snacks

Eating healthy and traveling are important to me, but the two don't necessarily go together. The more I eat healthy, the more I bring my own food when I travel. I literally have a "travel pantry" where I save non-perishables that would be travel friendly, so if I ever last minute decide to go for a beach picnic or weekend away, I have things on hand. All this is to say I've put a lot of thought into this. 

What makes sense for your trip will vary, so use this as inspiration. It could be for a longer road trip, a business trip, a weekend away, whatever. You may have access to a fridge or kitchen which would change what is possible. If I'm gone for more than two days I'll bring my own salt, olive oil and Italian seasoning. Just in case, I try to find a salad bar or supermarket in the area ahead of time. 



Non-Perishables

  • Drinks
    • Caffeinated Tea - I love individual serving sized matcha powder sticks that can be used hot or cold (though they don't blend well). 
    • Herbal Tea- Something that is relazixing and grounding for me, like Throat Coat
    • Mushroom Tea - Four Sigmatic has great single serve mushroom lattes that are great for energy, immunity or relaxation on the go. 
    • Green Superfood Drink Mix - something I can add to water that makes me feel like I'm getting more greens/nutrients when I'm not eating fresh as much
  • Nuts - I make my own trail mix in a reusable stasher bag. I go for dry-roasted and salted organic almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, etc. 
  • Hemp Seeds - Great to sprinkle on anything (salad, avocado, yogurt) to get added protein 
  • Spirulina tablets - a detoxifying green especially when you aren't eating normally 
  • Seaweed
  • Almond Butter packets
  • Individual packet of olives - from Trader Joes
  • Single serve hummus
  • Banana and spirulina crackers
  • Veggie chips - there are so many options now like kale, beats, carrots, sweet potato, jicama, etc
  • Beef or salmon jerky, or beef sticks
  • Protein bar - look for something high protein and low sugar with few ingredients 


If Can Take Fresh Food:

  • Avocado
  • Green Apples (lower sugar) 
  • Blueberries
  • Cucumbers
  • Baby Carrots
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Lemon
  • Think of hearty produce that won't get squished on a journey or need to be cooked to enjoy


If You Want To Make Meals:

  • Breakfast
    • Shakes/Overnight Oats/Chia Seed Pudding - In a ziplock bag I pre-mix everything I would want to add. For example that could include oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, maca powder, cacao powder, cinnamon, greens protein powder, etc - whatever you have on hand. I bring a mason jar with me and a shaker ball (for shakes only). Sometimes I bring single serving packs of unsweetened coconut milk, try to find a non-dairy milk where I am at (even asking Starbucks for a cup of it), or just use water. You can refrigerate it overnight, but it's okay to be left out. It will really thicken up overnight and be a hearty breakfast in the morning. Make sure to stir it well and add enough liquid. Add a banana or other fruit when ready to eat to sweeten it up.  
  • Lunch
    • Cauliflower Cup - These pre-cooked cauliflower rice with a veggie topping are on the expensive side but no refrigeration or heating is needed.
    • Salad - I take kale chips, Trader Joe's Antipasto Mediterranean Vegetables, an avocado, pumpkin seeds and a can of sardines. The olive oil sauce from the antipasto veggies serves as a dressing.
    • Mezze Platter - Single serve pack of olives, sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, seed crackers, single serve hummus, beef jerky, some kind of veggie chip, dried fruit like figs - and you can throw most of that into one ziplock bag for easy travel/clean-up. 
  • Dinner
    • Ready Made Meal Pouches - There are lots of Indian ready to eat sides and pre-cooked rice packets you can combine and heat up in a microwave. 
    • Box of Soup - easy if you can find a microwave or stove