Flight Tips & Plane Exercises

Here are my plane travel tips and some exercises to do when stuck in a seat for a long time. 

At the Terminal - I buy the largest bottle of spring water (maybe two) and stretch at the terminal. If you don't want to be as awkward and you have the time, go find an empty terminal where you can move around more or go for a walk. Move your body while you have the chance. I am always full before a flight as I try to not eat on planes.

Setting Up Your Space - Once on the plane, I take off my shoes to feel more comfortable and keep on my compression socks. Compression socks are great since you won't be moving as much and so your legs don't feel as tired afterwards. I set up my space by turning off the seat back monitor, closing the shade, putting my water in the seat back pouch and introducing myself to my neighbors. I use my puffer jacket in its compression bag as a lower back pillow and have a second jacket or blanket since I always get cold. I bring noise-cancelling headphones, ear plugs, an eye mask and neck pillow so I can be in my own world. 


How To Use Air Time - Plane time is a great excuse to check in with yourself with little distractions. I try not to watch movies or buy the wifi. Instead I focus on a personal project that requires deep concentration or journaling. As the plane takes off, I do a guided meditation and sometimes I'm asleep before it's over. 

Spa Time - For longer flights, I have a mini-spa kit. Air travel is very de-hydrating so I bring a moisturizing nasal spray (which also helps prevent you from getting sick), face lotion, lavender essential oil (just to smell it from the bottle to relax you but not overwhelm the space with the smell), cuticle or hand creme, face/body wipes, a face mask and toothbrush. I give my hands and neck a massage and play cheesy spa music to set the tone. 

Sleep Time - I'm about 50/50 for being able to sleep on planes. I prepare myself for sleep by doing some relaxing breathwork, listening to a biannual beats sleep time meditation, reading a physical book and putting on my eye mask and ear plugs.  By knowing what helps you fall asleep in general, you can apply those tactics to a flight. I believe in a positive mental attitude so I tell myself I will sleep, instead of bring frustrated by the other noises around me and my seeming inability to fall asleep.

Plane Exercises

All of the moves below are designed to be done in a cramped chair. I recommend trying once or twice during the flight to hang out by the bathroom and do some squats, lunges, standing stretches, etc. Somehow save this post so you can access the moves during the flight. These could also work while sitting in an office desk, car backseat, etc.

These are all general movements that you can look up if you want more specific directions on how-to. I didn't give sets or reps but I aim to do about 10 reps of each move with 2 sets. They are in no particular order. None of these will work your muscles hard, but they will get your blood pumping and will at least use more of your muscle groups to keep them engaged. The key is to really focus on the muscle while doing the movement slowly to feel it.

Warm Up

  • Stretch neck
  • Wrist figure eights
  • Stretch fingers back and then push in with palms down
  • Massage jaw, head tension points and anywhere else you can access that needs some release
  • Roll shoulders front and back, and shrug your shoulders 
  • Squeeze toes tight and wide apart
  • Spinal Circles - While sitting, place your hands on your hips and move only your torso in a big, full circle (try to keep your hips still)
  • Ankle Circles - Draw circles from the outside inwards for a few seconds then reverse directions
  • Shoulder Rotation - hug your shoulders and move your elbows in a figure eight
  • Forehead Lift - Place fingers tips on head and apply firm pressure lifting upward. Lean head forward and hold for 10 seconds.
  • Eye Circles - Without wrinkling forehead opens eyes as wide as possible making a full big circle, in both directions (helps with bloodshot/tired eyes)
  • Ballon Mouth - Puff up cheeks holding air, hold to each side for 5 seconds

Yoga
  • Back and Shoulder Stretch - Interlace your fingers and turn your palms up. Inhale, reach your hands up toward the ceiling. Exhale, bend your elbows as your draw your right elbow to the right. Your left elbow will come behind your head. Inhale, straighten your arms and you reach your palms toward the ceiling. Repeat with the other side.
  • Seated Cat-Cow - Place your hands on your knees. As you inhale, draw your chest forward and your shoulders back. Look up. Exhale, round your spine, draw your shoulders forward and look down toward your navel.
  • Twist It Out - Sit up tall in seat, place both hands on outside of left thigh and rotate upper body and shoulders left, feeling a gentle stretch in lower back. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Forward Bend - Make your chest touch your thighs
  • Seated PigeonLift left leg off the ground while seated and place left ankle across right knee. Place both hands on left knee and gently press knee down towards the floor while with a straight back leaning forward. 
  • Knee Pull-Ins - Bend your leg and hug your knee as close to your chest as you can. Hold the pose for a few seconds.

Strength

  • Pump Breathing - Inhale fully, allowing your belly to expand. Then start pumping your belly in and out (at a fast pace) to the count of 30, with sharp exhales on each outward motion as you pump the belly in and out. Really force the abs right in to the belly button with each short, sharp exhale.
  • Biceps - Raise right arm so forearm and upper arm are at a 90-degree angle. Now relax the hand and tense the bicep as hard as you can. You could hold a water bottle to help mimic the curl movement. 
  • Namaste - With straight back, hold hands in prayer position and push in for 20 seconds
  • Handshake - With straight back, hold hands one thumb up and the other down, pull apart for 20 seconds
  • Forearms - Make a fist. Flex your forearms in a V position, tense hard, and then suddenly open the fingers and hand and then close. Another option for this muscle group is to squeeze something like a tennis ball.  
  • Foot Pumps (Pedal to the Metal) - Lift your heels up while keeping the balls of your feet on the floor. Hold the pose for a few seconds and try to feel it in your calves. Set your heels to the floor and lift your toes up. Hold for a few seconds.
  • Chest Squeeze - Form a goalpost with your arms. Bring your forearms together in front of your face squeezing the entire time. Press forearms together and lift arms 1 inch, squeezing through chest.
  • Leg Lifts - Lift your foot off the floor, and straighten your leg as much as you can, while keeping your ankles bent and your toes pointed upward. Pull your knees up towards your chest and then down without touching the floor. Focus on the core muscles. 
  • Stand on Fists - Make fists with your hands and place them next to you close to your knees. Push your weight forward, and then push yourself up. Your feet are off the ground and your butt is off the seat. Hold this position for 20 seconds.
  • Tri Lift - Place your hand on the bars of your seat, your elbows point toward the back instead of outwards. Then lift yourself up and down. Make it harder by not fully coming down. 
  • Thigh Squeezes - Make a fist with each hand and place them between your knees. Squeeze your thighs together and hold for five seconds, then release.  
  • Glute Squeezes - Tighten your rear muscles as much as you can and hold for five seconds, then release.  
  • Kegels!