Burning Man Packing List

Part of the joy of Burning Man for me is the preparation and anticipation. I put a lot of thought into what I need to survive and thrive at Burning Man. Since I generally take the burner bus where you are limited to two bags, I try to keep what I bring minimal (most people over pack). After a couple years of Burning Man, below is my refined packing list. 

Just like everything else I share, use this as a base. You know yourself, what you normally like to travel with and what would make you comfortable in the extreme playa environment. I think it's important to also have some self-care items. For me that's throat coat tea, a robe and journal. 

I also made an Amazon list which has some but not all of the items below. It's another good starting point (especially if you are tent camping). 

If this is your first year, talk to a friend who has been before who can give you a sense of how to prepare. This is list is best understood after reviewing what Burning Man can entail. For example if you don't know why you need goggles, you need to do more research first. 



Day Pack

I bring a large camelbak backpack so I have everything I need on me if I don't make it home for 24 hours. 
  • Water (in camelbak) - I add some trace minerals to it to keep my electrolytes up 
  • Chapstick
  • Small sunscreen
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Sunglasses
  • Goggles
  • Scarf/buff
  • Ear plugs
  • Gum
  • Tissues
  • Toilet paper (tiny travel roll) - the porta potties have always had toilet paper in my experience, but just in case
  • Head lamp
  • Ziploc bag - for trash
  • Body wipes - I really like these essential oil wipes  
  • Backpack lights - so people can see you at night. I safety pin EL wire to my backpack. 
  • Protein bar/nutrient dense snack



Camp Site

I camp where shade and showers are provided while I bring my own tent. There is also a kitchen space with meals and water included. If your camp does not provide these elements, you will need to bring more items that I have not accounted for below.
  • First Aid Kit - something basic that includes cough drops. You know your common aliments, so plan to care for them. 
  • Toiletries - including things to help with the dry environment like quickly absorbing lotion, moisturizing nasal spray, something to help with dry/dusty feet, etc
  • Silicone ear plugs - to sleep 
  • Eye mask
  • Large ziploc bags - I filled them ahead of time with items for organization and then on playa use them as trash bags for my tent
  • Paper towels and tissues
  • Cell phone charger and backup battery charger - confirm if you camp has a place where you could plug in a charger
  • Extra lights for self/bike/tent/backpack - they will break, fall off, loose batteries, etc so have something extra to light yourself up
  • An extra set of batteries for everything
  • Clothes - express yourself, wear comfortable items (something easy to get on/off in a porta potty), bring something to keep you extra warm at night. 
  • Fresh pair of socks for every day and night
  • Lights - you need to light yourself up at night. This could look a multitude of ways like a light-up crown, running shoe lights, a coat with EL wire sewn in, etc. Get creative!
  • Compression bags for clothes - to save space and keep them cleaner
  • Camp tear down outfit sealed in a ziplock bag - you will want one clean outfit once you get off playa
  • Zip ties - you may also want to bring work gloves if you will be helping set up/tear down your camp or more tools as you see fit
  • Large Pee Bottle - You may or may not be close to a bathroom where you camp. In the middle of the night some people (including me) prefer to have the option to quickly go in your tent as it's a production to get dressed to go out. I bring a funnel and colored large plastic bottle. The color is important so when you bring it to the porta potty to empty it the morning, it's not as obvious. 😉 
  • Kitchen
    • Plate, bowl, cup, fork, spoon, knife
    • Electrolyte pills
    • Favorite snacks that won't melt, get crushed in travel or need refrigeration like beef jerky or nuts - even if food is provided for you, keep something around that you will enjoy late night
  • Tent
    • Tarp for under tent
    • Rebar stakes for tent - you need something strong for when the wind hits
    • Light for inside tent
    • Sleeping bag or sheets
    • Air mattress and pump - hole repair kit optional
    • Pillow
    • Small camping chair - for use in tent or in communal camp area 
    • Decorations - some people like to decorate/light-up the outside of their tent so people can find it more easily. Just make sure whatever you bring have withstand the wind, possible rain and lots of dust. Some people like to decorate the inside of their tent so they feel more comfortable within it. 



Bike

  • Lights - I recommend EL wire attached with zip ties but there are so many fun options to explore
  • Tennis ball for stand - sometimes the playa is soft and the kick-stand will just sink in
  • Number combination lock - it's rare but people do take bikes
  • Decorations - something to make it easy to identify bike far away, like a pole sticking up in the back with a teddy bear on it
  • Soft seat cover - to prevent chafing (if you wear little to no clothes) and a white one so it's not too hot in sun
  • Repair - Take your bike for a tune-up ahead of time to make sure chain is greased and everything is in good working order. Some people bring bike repair kits as bike issues are common but there are also camps that help with bike repairs.