My Beauty Routine

We have to take care of our temples! My beauty routine is about keeping it simple, clean and nourishing. I'm not a beauty expert, I just enjoy taking good care of my body.

Everyone defines clean beauty in different ways, but to me it's about being as simple and as recognizable with the ingredients. 
I use the Think Dirty app to scan barcodes on beauty products to see the rating of how "clean" they are. However, I'll also do a drugstore face mask with friends and not stress about what is in it.  

Face
I KISS my face (keep it simple, stupid)
  • Face Wash - I use organic jojoba oil and rinse it off with a hot wash cloth.
  • Face Moisturizer - At night (because it looks a little greasy) I use rosehips oil. You can give yourself a little massage too!
  • Face Sprays - To refresh myself in the morning, I mist a rose water spray simply because it feels nice. After sweating, I use the Lumion spray as a quick way to clean my face on the go. 
  • Face Scrub - Once a week I combine a tablespoon of salt with a dash of olive oil. 
  • Face Mask - I keep a jar of manuka honey in the shower, put a thin layer over my face and neck and try to keep it on as long as possible before rinsing with a hot wash cloth. 

Body
  • Body Wash - I go classic with Dr Bronner's unscented.
  • Deodorant - It's hard to find a natural deodorant that actually does the job. I'm still on the hunt but have found a new one with colloidal silver that seems to do a better job of minimizing odor.
  • Lotion - My partner makes our own lotion, which is surprisingly easy to do. First he melts 1 parts shea or cocoa butter with 1 part coconut oil on the stove. Once it cools he adds in roughly 1 tablespoon of vitamin e, jojoba oil, argan oil, almond oil - basically whatever oils we have on hand. You could add in a drop of essential oil as well.
  • Scrub - I'm a big fan of getting a Korean scrub once a quarter. You can always DIY it with a scrub hand mat.
  • Shaving - For my bikini line, I'm found using an exfoliating brush the day before and few days after shaving helps prevents bumps. That along with using a brand new razor always keeps me smooth. 😎
  • Dry Brush - This just feels good to do, but also helps promote blood flood at the surface of the skin. I do it before or after I shower with a special focus on my face. The idea is to start furthest away from your heart (legs, arms, head) brushing in little circles. Then, work your way in brushing your chest last. 
  • Cold Shower - The best way to wake myself up in the morning, to make my skin feel perky, and to help boost my immune system is a cold shower. I do it at the end of my normal shower for about a minute (work your way up if that feels like a lot).
  • Baths - I make my baths a ritual by setting some music, lighting a candle, etc. It's self care time. I made the water like a 'soup.' Depending on how I feel I add in a combination of epsom salt (soothes muscles), baking soda (detoxifies water), bentonite clay (smoothes skin), essential oils (relaxes), and diatomaceous earth (smoothes skin). 

Teeth
  • Toothpaste - I use a fluoride-free, glycerin-free option. I like Redmond's toothpaste because it only has 8 simple ingredients.
  • Daily Routine - I tongue scrape, floss and brush my teeth twice a day. Most floss is coated in a type of Teflon, so try to find a more natural option that discloses what it's made of.
  • Mouth Spa - Once a week I do a "mouth spa" where I oil pull with sesame oil (based on my ayurvedic constitution) and rinse with salt water. I also use a brush cleaner pick to massage the gums in-between my teeth.

Hair
  • Silk - I use silk hair ties and sleep on a silk pillow case to keep my hair from drying out and breakage.
  • Damaged Hair - My ends tend to get dry so I try to not put it up in the same spot a lot to prevent breakage, use a shower cap to give it a break from being tied up, and try to wash it around once a week to not over dry it out.
  • Hair Mask - Twice a month I dip my dry ends in almond oil for an hour before taking a shower to help moisturize. I also use a natural scalp oil at the same time as I tend to have a dryer scalp. 

Sleep 
  • Sleep is the most important thing for beauty! If I have a big event coming up, I try to prioritize getting 8 hours of sleep every night the week before. 
  • What helps you fall asleep will be different from me and it's fun to experiment to see what works best for you. Here are some of my bedtime routines:
    • Block Blue Light - I wear blue blocking glasses three hours before bed which helps the body naturally release melatonin and I don't use technology in bed. 
    • Relaxation - I put a drop of lavender essential oil on my pillow and use a magnesium roll on any tension spots to help my body relax.
    • Comfort - Sleeping in socks in a colder room helps me fall asleep faster. 
    • Blackout - I try to get the room as dark as possible or wear an eye mask. I use silicone ear plugs to block out the world. 
    • Getting Ready For Bed - A warm bath, a progressive muscle relaxation, listening to biannual beats, reading a physical book and journaling the thoughts in my head all help me get in the state to fall asleep.