Healthy Drink Recipes

I’ve become known as the “Tray Girl” at work because every morning I make about six drinks in the kitchen to start my day. While I enjoy just water, I like spicing up my beverages to make them more interesting (and increase my reasons to get up and move at work). I love having a stocked pantry of various teas, powders, etc to feel inspired to throw them together in new ways like a non-alcoholic mixologist. It's one of the ways I play with creativity.

All of this has come from experimentation. None of the portions are exact and I encourage you to play and see what flavors you like. I don't add sweeteners to any of my drinks, but you can always add as you like. Most of these recipes also work in "batch prepping" which means just double the recipe and make it in a large mason jar. That way you can have a tasty drink at the ready in the fridge throughout the week.

Tea is the ultimate Swiss Army knife beverage - it can warm you up or cool you down, energize or relax you, and so much more. In general, organic loose leaf tea is better than bagged (so you can visually see the quality). I cover my mugs while steeping herbal teas to keep in the essential oils and more flavor.


Morning

  • Chai Latte - I’m always trying to make it extra strong like the concentrate I grew up on. I use two tea bags, add a dash of cinnamon and allspice along with two cardamom pods and two clove pieces and a splash of vanilla extract. I steep the black tea for about four minutes covered to really get the most flavor out of it, but the spices can stay in. I personally think coconut milk is the most creamy non-dairy milk, and I always use unsweetened non-dairy milk. Look for a rooibos chai or roasted dandelion tea if you would like a decaffeinated version.
  • Blueberry Matcha Latte - In hot water mix a spoonful of matcha powder with a serving of blueberry powder. You really gotta stir to incorporate it - or use blender/frother. Add milk of your choice. Less is more with matcha powder or it may get too bitter for your liking.
  • Dandelion Latte - If you are looking for something caffeine-free that gives a slight coffee/earthy feel, meet the dandelion latte. Add a roasted dandelion tea bag plus a dash of cinnamon to hot water and let it steep covered for 20 minutes. Then add the milk of your choice or a tiny sprinkle of cocoa butter for richness. You can add beet or cacao powder to add flavor. 
  • Mushroom Teas - There are such a variety of mushrooms in powder form, and they all have different benefits to boost any drink or can standalone. Most mushrooms have an earthy taste so I like to add them to a black tea. A combination I enjoy is chaga mushrooms with earl grey tea and a pinch of cinnamon. Chaga, reishi and turkey tail are all great for immunity. I also use Lion's Mane when I want a brain boost and Cordyceps for a supercharge. Try them premixed on their own, with tea or in a smoothie.
  • Bone Broth - Sometimes you want to sip on something savory. We make our own grass-fed bone broth in a pressure cooker. I like mixing it up between chicken, turkey and beef stocks. We freeze the broth in muffin tins so we can take out just enough for one cup as needed. In a pot I add bone broth, whatever fresh and dried herbs I have on hand, and some chickpea miso paste. My typical herbs are oregano, cilantro, parsley and dill. Bone broth is the best thing for immunity and adding some olive oil or mct oil gives it a hearty boost. Salt to taste.
  • Lemon Water - Simply hot water plus lemon. More than any other drink I make, I notice how my whole body instantly responds and feels more awake after sipping lemon water. Try to stop and notice how each drink makes you feel. Which has the biggest impact on you?
  • Greens Powder - To maximize the nutritional benefit of a morning drink, a greens powder is a great addition (although fresh whole greens are best). I only add a quarter of a scoop to a drink as it’s just enough to flavor it for me. Sometimes I add a couple drops of a ginseng tincture when I want a brain boost. There are so many different mixes and I picked an energizing one but explore based on your desired benefit.
  • Orange Cascara Tango - Cascara is the shell of a coffee bean. It doesn’t taste like coffee but is a distinctive caffeine-free tea. I think it pairs well with a squeeze of orange (or kumquat) and a dash of cinnamon. Like most of these drinks, it also works well cold.
  • Collagen Powder and MCT Oil - To boost any hot beverage, I add a scoop of unflavored grass feed collagen powder and a squirt of mct oil. There is a slight flavor to both, so play and see where it fits best for your preferences. 


Hydrating

  • Margarita Water - Perfect for a hike. Add a teaspoon of salt and squeeze one lime in your water bottle. Salt is the ultimate electrolyte.
  • Lemonade Water - Add a splash of apple cider vinegar and half a lemon to your water. I drink it with a straw so the acid doesn't wear away my teeth. It perks me right up!
  • Hibiscus Tea - A refreshing and vibrantly-colored tea. The color of this is so pretty (also check out butterfly tea), so it’s perfect to serve at a gathering. I throw a small handful of loose-leaf hibiscus in a large mason jar to drink-prep it. You can keep the leaves in and let them keep steeping as long as you like. You could also try a "Tropical Fog" and make hibiscus + rose tea with milk. 
  • ACV Sparkler - Take one half brewed hibiscus tea (chilled), add one half sparkling water and a splash of apple cider vinegar. 
  • Chlorophyll - I like to consume green things and this looks like green water. The tincture I use also has peppermint in it so it’s refreshing. I recommend starting with just adding four drops to water and work your way up to a full dose per the bottle as you like.
  • Coconut Mocktail - One third coconut water to two thirds sparking water. Add a squeeze of lime and sugar-free ginger soda with a pinch of salt. 
  • Cleansing Water - Heat fresh ginger, mint, cucumber and lemon. Heating it up gets the most benefits out of the ingredients. Make a big batch to last all week in a glass pitcher and just keep adding water to keep it going.
  • Fancy Water - It’s basically sparkling water with all the citrus you have on hand - lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc. Slice them up pretty in a glass pitcher and it’s a great party drink.
  • Fruit Water - There are some many possible combinations - strawberry and basil, blueberry and rosemary, pineapple and ginger, etc. Take a few slices of whatever fruit and fresh herbs you have and refresh your water. The longer you let it steep (hot or cold), the more flavors will come out.
  • Trace Minerals - I add a couple of drops to any non-hot beverage I make to boost my electrolytes for hydration. It does have a strong taste so start with just a few drops. Another way to get trace minerals is through electrolyte pills when I’m out in the sun all day. I also like hydration tablets (without too many ingredients or sugar) when I’m traveling.


Afternoon Digestion


  • Mint Tea - I try to use fresh mint leaves when possible. This is also easy to batch prep in a large mason jar to have on hand all week. You can keep the leaves or bag in as long as you want. Most herbal teas don’t need to have the bags removed like caffeinated tea which will become bitter.
  • Digestive Bitters - Start with a few tincture drops and work your way up as you enjoy the taste. There are different flavor options like maple and orange - it tastes like lightly flavored water. Enjoy on your own in a glass or water or add to another beverage you are making.
  • Bloat Fighting Tea - I use these tea bags and let it steep for 10-20 mins. I'm not sure how much it actually helps with bloating but it feels like I'm being kind to my body. 
  • Ginger Ale Water - In a mason jar add hot water and half a palmful of ginger, cut fine for more surface area, and let it steep for 10 - 20 mins. The more ginger the better. The idea to make the ginger tea as concentrated as possible. Keep in fridge to chill and add one-fourth to three-fourths sparking water. If done right, it tastes like ginger ale without the sugar.


Evening Cacao

  • Reishi Cacao - Heat up your milk of choice with a hearty amount of cocoa powder (about 4 tablespoons) plus a serving of reishi powder and a dash of cinnamon. Among it’s many benefits, reishi is relaxing and perfect for the end of the day.
  • Mint Hot Chocolate - Heat up your milk of choice with a hearty amount of cocoa powder (about 4 tablespoons) plus about 7 drops of a chlorophyll with peppermint tincture. You could also try brewing it with fresh mint leaves instead of chlorophyll. Sometimes I sweeten it with liquid monk fruit. 
  • Chocolate Beet Latte - Heat up your milk of choice with a hearty amount of cocoa powder (about 4 tablespoons) plus one tablespoon of beet root powder (or beet juice). Optional to add some cacao butter or coconut manna for creaminess. You can also prepare this cold and mix in a blender or with a frother.